New Mexico chile (or New Mexican chile) is a group of cultivars of the chile pepper, initially developed by pioneer horticulturist, Dr. Fabián Garcia, at New Mexico State University (NMSU) in 1894, then known as Las Cruces College and the New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts. The New Mexican-type chile is an important ingredient in the Southwestern food industry. Chiles have grown from a regional food for tourists to an important international export. NMSU has the longest continuous program of chile improvement in the world. Chile’s most recognizable trait is heat.
With our “famous” Lumbre Chile Eating Contest this 3rd Annual La Gran Fiesta, we want to know,
Can YOU Handle the Heat?
Sunday, September 23, 2018 – 2:00 p.m. ~ Plaza de Las Cruces
Prizes: 1st Place – $350 + Trophy + Bragging Rights
2nd Place – $250 + Trophy
3rd Place – $150 + Trophy
CARE thanks our sponsors who donated the Lumbre Chile Eating Contest prizes:
1st Place – Elias Elizaldez, 575-915-2999
2nd Place – Shawn Scott, 505-427-9253
3rd Place – Raul Tellez, 575-496-5777
Exit Realty Horizons Agents , 575-532-5678
Rules and Regulations:
- Contestants must be at least 18 years old and pay a $10 registration fee.
- Contestants will have 5 minutes to eat as many lumbre chiles as possible.
- Contestants cannot remove chile seeds from lumbre chiles or alter lumber chile in any way.
- Chile peppers must be eaten down to within 1/8 inch of the cap to be counted.
- Only one chile may be eaten at a time.
- The winner will be determined by the number of stems on the contestant’s plate after time has been called.
- Contestant will be allowed to drink water during the contest.
- Contestants cannot coat the inside of their mouth with any kind of protective coating. Anyone caught will be disqualified.
- Contestants will be disqualified should they be unable to keep peppers down during contest.
- Contestants will be allowed to finish any pepper remaining in their mouth when time is called.
- Should there be a tie, contestants will compete in another 5 minute competition.
- All judging decisions are final.
Download Flyer and Entry Form below: